Monday, May 30, 2005

3 for 2 at Waterstones

The hackneyed phrase 'everyone has at least one novel inside them' is, quite possibly, true. Whether the resulting novel deserves to see the light of day, and whether it is a good thing for either author or reader is perhaps more debatable.

I do have a bit of a problem with this phrase - an attitude that is unpopular I know - as although in principle I applaud the sheer number of books now available to us in bookshops, the somewhat slick air of showman-salesmanship and sometimes exploitative element of many of the choices in the bestseller lists makes me uneasy.

On the back of the success of one 'literary' novel about a man's fascination with, say, the history of navigation, come a whole host revolving around such kooky subjects as chocolate, bees, tulips, paintings etc. The arrival of a harrowing autobiographical account of childhood is followed by a glut of similar novels - even down to having the same style dustjackets, as though part of some automated production line.

I don't quite know what I would care for instead. I know I prefer libraries, with their dusty, dog-eared air of quiet and calm, the lack of pressure, where the only agenda is to prevent as many books from being nicked as possible and to stay within budget. I long for the bookshops of my imagination, where proprietors sold books because they loved them, and profit was a happy coincidence.

I don't know why the commercial aspects of the book world distresses me. I regard the worldly advertising element of television with a tolerant, even slightly disinterested, eye. But the case is different. The purpose of most television channels is to produce advertising for third parties (apart from the BBC, which may explain its slightly schizophrenic atmosphere). That's where the money comes from and the way they do this is to provide bait in the form of tasty programming . Its a fairly upfront procedure, and if a good program is created then wonderful, and if its trash then oh dear, but at least we've promoted Lenor Vaporesse to an audience of 2.3 million.

Books are different to me. I feel - rightly or wrongly - that the birth of a novel must have been both painful and dear to the author, that its creation is essential to the author and written because it had to be, not because it is the type of book that 'travels well'. I like to feel that I am participating in something special in reading it. The process of discovering and choosing a book is a private and personal experience for me, so when I see floor-to-ceiling displays of the current hot sellers invariably right by the entrance, tarting themselves in bulk, I am overcome by dismay.

When I avail myself of the ubiquitous 3 for 2 offers I emerge into the sunlight rather guilty, like I've been seduced by some cheap lothario and wondering about my purchases. Nearly always in those situations I find 2 books I truly want and the third is an 'ho hum, I might as well as its free' option. Which is a dreadful way to think of a book, and is a result of my weakness for a bargain, agressive marketing, the sheer weight of books on the market and perhaps most of all, a trend in many books to be samey.To be popular, to appeal widely, in effect - to attract the lowest common denominator.

Am I being too harsh? I am well aware that my attitude to books is a little rarefied, and I am also cringingly aware that in the simple fact of publishing my own words of fairly trivial meanderings I am contributing to the superfluity of stuff that floats about the world without appreciably making a difference for the better - or even just a difference.

6 Comments:

Blogger meg said...

I think our culture makes a strange division between television and books. If we judge books by the same standards as television, then it makes perfect sense for there to be books for stupid people, books that you know are crap but love reading anyway and books that you read when there's nothing better around. I think it's okay for books to fill the gap that television fills with Richard and Judy, Eastenders, Coutdown, etc.
I'm a bit of a book snob myself and would rather be seen on the tube with my skirt over my head than with one of those day-glo chick lit things. But I still think it's fair that chick lit exists.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Shizue said...

I do take your point, and yes of course its 'fair' that such stuff exists, but when you begin to find it difficult to buy a non-best-seller anywhere apart from Amazon then I think we've taken dumbing down too far.

Its not the existence of such books per se that I object to, its the way in which they are marketed. Why do they need approx. 400 copies of just one book on display? Unless its opening week of the latest Harry Potter they will never sell that many in one day. Fully one third of most bookshops are now taken up with nothing apart from the top 10, and the top 4 will take up about half of that.

And I actually do object on a personal level to a lot of the crappy stuff we get on TV. Its made up - as I think Katrina pointed out on her blog - with a plethora of reality and make-over programmes. My point was that at least with TV, there is the technical excuse that their primary function is to sell advertising.

And don't you find a bit worrying the whole band-waggon-leaping shenannigans? All those stories about experiences of child abuse? I agree that its good to have those stories told, but the manner in which they hit our bookshelves is so manufactured, so articificial, and how many are ghost-written I can only guess. (Actually, maybe none of them are, but the marketing makes me suspect this, which is surely not a good thing?).

11:17 AM  
Blogger meg said...

True. It is very irritating to pop into WH Smiths to look for something to read and find there's absolutely nothing worth buying. I also object to the woman in the Smiths on Baker St asking me if I want to order the latest Harry Potter every time I go in there.

NO I BLOODY DON'T!!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

I understand your frustration Becky but to me the mass marketing of crap books is but one example of the excesses produced by the modern Capitalist society in which we live in which seems to valorise making money above anything else and generally speaking values quantity above quality. Our economy 'thrives' on persuading people to buy things they don't really need and sadly it seems that such aggressive marketing has infiltrated into virtually every sphere of culture. Even 'charities' have high flying marketing consultants these days and it's difficult to see how any thing can be successful without finding or often creating its 'niche' in the market. Even the seemingly anti-capitalist, counter culture has its niche with its New Age junk jewellery, self help books, professional reiki and costly psychics. I am digressing a bit but my point is that this is unfortunately the sad state of the laissez-faire society of excess that we live in. The crap books produced just because they will sell in contrast to those created out of love, are just one example of the waste product. We may be contributing to the 'stuff' out there but we're having a discussion primarily as friends, on this occasion on a serious topic, because we see value in the discussion in itself and not because we want to gain money from it. Blogs have the potential, as Dan points out, to become self-indulgent but they also have the potential to generate intelligent debate.

With regard to what I have written above, obviously I am generalising to some degree and there are of course many differences between different areas of culture, such as for example the TV and printed word. I suspect however that the real reason that this 'dumbing down' as you call it, annoys you more in relation to books than the TV is because you love books, but you clearly don't feel the same way about TV. Sure, you don't feel as antipathetic towards it as I do but you don't LOVE it in the way that you love good literature and music. And is there anyone out there that can truly say they love the TV?

[N.B Contrary to popular opinion I don't actually think our society is all bad and I'm not romanticising some mythical golden age but I reserve the right to criticise an aspect of society where I feel it is appropriate].

10:17 PM  
Blogger I'm Over The Moon said...

There's one thing you've missed: books wirtten out of genuine need for an outlet for an excess of bile! For beautiful and satisfying examples thereof i suggest Christopher Brookmyer. That's like a really good sitcom or an early tarrantino movie, to borrow the telly comparison. If i ever manage to write a book i shall endevour to make it a volume of blackaddery bitterness.
P.S. The third book is never ho hum until you have a complete discworld collection, surely?

1:50 PM  
Blogger Shizue said...

Yes but I'm really sad and am collecting the quarter leather bound discworld books.

Um, and yes Armadillo is fantastic, but I don't really think of his type of novel as fitting into a particular genre.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home